What is V-legal certification?
The Verified-Legal certification is to certify that our woods are sourced legally from protected forests in Indonesia that are sustainably managed.
Where do these teak woods come from and how are they eco-friendly?
All of our teak woods are collected from the rural parts of Indonesia. Most of them are reclaimed from the old abandoned houses, buildings, railway sleepers, fishing boats and trees that fell over hundreds of years ago.
These woods are reclaimed from areas that were abandoned for many years, yet, the woods are still in a stable condition and remain strong and sturdy. Teak wood is renowned for its durability and ability to withstand all types of weather conditions.
The naturally occurring high oil and resin content in the wood provides resistance to rot and insect attack.
Listed below are a few of the many reasons why you should choose reclaimed teak.
- It’s sustainable
- Attractive and natural look
- Very strong and very durable
- Natural resistance to termites and insects
- Resists rot and decay
- Moisture and weather resistant
- Does not react with iron and other metals
- Appearance enhances any room design
How are they made?
Once these teak woods are collected, they go through a series of quality control procedures which are typically –
- Rigorous material selection, ensuring the best quality wood
- Fumigation, a legal requirement for exports, to treat pests and harmful bacteria
- Framing, weaving and sanding processes, depending on the piece being created
- Pre-coloring, coloring and staining as appropriate
- Finishing process, before the product is made available for sale
They are all 100% handmade by the skilful and experienced hands of local craftsmen in Indonesia.
Every piece is individual with their own unique look– no two pieces are the same!